- Stories of God’s Love, RCL Benziger
- Focus on awareness of God and the wonders of God’s creation
- Develop an understanding of how to show love to all children of God, particularly in their families and among friends
- Develop awareness of prayer as talking to God
- Sing sacred songs
- Attend Mass
- Listen and respond to Bible stories
- Reinforcement of spiritual values across the curriculum
- The Superkids Reading Program, Rowland Reading
- Focus on the alphabet and on developing phonemic awareness as a foundation for reading and writing skills
- Begin to read simple words and sentences
- Recognition of high frequency words
- Strengthen communication skills by listening and speaking in class discussions
- Language arts are applied across the curriculum
- Cross-curricular integration of Science and Social Studies related components
- My Math, McGraw-Hill
- ST Math, MIND Research Institute
- Recognize patterns, classify objects, identify shapes, and work with graphs
- Develop number sense by counting, ordering and comparing numbers, and by doing simple addition and subtraction
- Online ST Math content objectives reinforces math concepts whereby students use abstract, quantitative, and creative reasoning to solve non-routine problems using their highest level of thinking
- STAR Math, concept/standard based assessment administered three times a year enables teachers to monitor student’s data driven progress to guide instruction.
- Science, Scott Foresman
- Discover basic attributes of common plants and animals, particularly mammals
- Explore fundamental aspects of our physical environment–air, water, land, weather, and seasons
- Introduction to basic spatial and temporal orientation (i.e., directions such as right/left, above/below, etc.)
- Beginnings to understand the calendar and clock
- Explore the significance of major holidays, emphasizing how events and people of the past influence the present
- Develop an appreciation for the basic elements of good citizenship
FINE ARTS & FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Children have every opportunity to express themselves through art, drama, music, piano, song, play and by using their imagination and talent
- Fine arts are an integral part at this developmental stage; Spanish, Music, Piano, Art and Technology
- Opportunity to play games and be active throughout the day
- Basic motor skills and health are nurtured to develop the whole child
- Stories of Jesus Love, Benziger
We will focus on God’s unending love for us through bible stories, songs and traditional prayers.
- Open Court, SRA/McGraw-Hill
- Hand Writing Without Tears
Using weekly themes, TK students will be introduced to language and literacy concepts with books, puppets, pocket charts, journals, classroom library, weekly formal library time, and computers. Language arts skills are incorporated across the curriculum to give all children the foundation of listening, comprehension, speech and vocabulary to prepare them for advancement.
- Math Their Way, Addison Wesley
TK students will develop math skills such as counting, sorting, classifying, graphing, and estimating. We will practice problem solving and critical thinking. Students learn through structured and free choice activities that include folder games, tangrams, cubes, sorting tins, classifying materials, beading, patterning, sorting games and board work.
Children will be encouraged to demonstrate their creativity and learning through digital technologies. Using iPads and PC’s, children have opportunities to explore touch screens and develop mouse and keyboarding skills. Children will explore digital storytelling in order to create digital books and record dramatic play in the classroom for display on the classroom webpage.
TK students will be exposed to physical, life and earth sciences through the study of the life cycle of plants and animals. Students will learn about citizenship, geography and history through books, calendar, celebrations, classroom jobs, and friend of the week posters.
TK students will explore art, music, and dramatic play through a variety of media and art materials and through creative movement, singing, dancing and using their bodies to represent ideas and experiences.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION / HEALTH SAFETY
TK students will learn fine and gross motor skills through games, and hands-on activities. Students will learn healthy life practices through books, songs, games and instruction about proper hand washing and personal hygiene. Good nutrition and exercise is taught at snack and lunch times, as well as circle time activities.